Friday, January 25, 2013

Promotions, Products and Pets.......Oh My!

I wasn't going to do a post of products I love, but there are a few things lately that I have received that I like and wanted to highlight them for you.

But first off, I have to give a shout out to my husband (he very rarely reads this blog) because he's receieved a promotion at work and is now a manager in charge of the office staff.  He's been at his company almost 10 yrs (even his boss didn't believe it - but his boss is not the one who hired him, this boss came after my husband was hired, so he would have no clue when my husband started with the company).  He has worked at every position in the office and now it's his turn to become a manager.  I know he's ready for this job. I'm happy as he can set his own hours (no extra pay though or overtime anymore) so he can come to school functions, he and I can take an hour to meet for lunch, and he can come home earlier if his work is done.  He will still work a day on the weekend, but I enjoy having him off on the weekday he's off, so that won't be a change.  I'm really proud of him.  :-) So far 2013 is starting off nicely, let's hope it continues...........after last year, we could really use a good year.

Now, you frequently if you read blogs with any regularity, know that some of the blogs out there do a What I Wore Wednesday (I wish I could participate in this but you know, I have a mom wardrobe and while I could dress up, I really just don't want to and I have accepted that- however, I do like to look at the outfits people link to, it's kind of like a What Not To Wear - or wear as the case may be) an Instagram Friday (this one I could do but I have not found any inspiring pictures to take nor would my house be one I'd like people to see, it's small and 4 people and 5 pets have outgrown it, and I haven't been anywhere this year that would inspire me to take pics.  But I'd like to try this one), sponsored products (no one ever sends me anything because I am not ad sponsored) and to take a picture that inspires me from the week.  I like to see what other people have posted, although I have to admit I don't link up at all because I don't feel as inspired as these bloggers do.  So I read and I enjoy reading the posts.

However, I do have a few items I have been enjoying this winter, both products, tv, and clothing.  So I am gonna do a link to some of my winter favorites (just because it's a bit of fun and sometimes this blog can lean towards two very special girls and it's time for a bit of some fun stuff).

I have picked up reading in the last month and I am enjoying it. I used to be a reader who could only read in extreme quiet (because when I was single and living on my own, that is what my atmosphere - except for my cats' meowing - was) but I am learning to read while noise is going on in the background (although I do not care for it but I am trying to accept it because that is what my household is like).  So on to favorite number 1.

1.  Downton Abbey.  I am addicted, yes, I am.  I can't help it.  My friend came to visit last year, at New Years and got me started on Downton.  She and I started watching it but the kids were around (PBS was having it's marathon lead up to season 2) so I decided to DVR the rest and the start of season 2.  When my friend left, I stayed up one night to watch all of season 1 in anticipation of the start of season 2.  Now they are on to season 3 and I'm still hooked. 

So this past Sunday PBS did a special on Highclere castle, where they film Downton Abbey. I watched and became fascinated with the estate and the Earl and Countess.  So I ordered this book, based on one of the Countesses of Highclere:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0770435629/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I also ordered this book as I am now fascinated by the American heiresses who came over in the early 1900's to marry the British Lords and supplied the much needed cash (dowery) to get the estates back on track (ie Downton Abbey style):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761171959/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

I have also read the books of this author, who was an actual parlor maid:
http://www.amazon.com/Below-Stairs-Inspired-Upstairs-Downstairs/dp/1250005442/ref=pd_sim_b_1

This maid definitely has the salty British humor going. 

2. Clemmentines - the orange.  I have really gotten into this sweet little citrus fruit.  My mom was eating them towards the end of her life and I have not really been an orange person but LGA likes oranges, and I always buy the small ones for the girls.  I started eating one at a meal one day and was hooked. I can't find them in the stores anymore so I think they are only in season a short while (I could look this up to add more 'facts' to this post, but I am too lazy to do that right now).

3.  Hot tea.  British black tea to be more specific.  We have a Keurig coffee maker, and I have been brewing a cup of tea in the afternoon with my lunch.  It reminds me of being back in England with my cousins and having an afternoon cup of tea. I even bought an English cucumber at the grocery store last night so I do see cucumber sandwiches in my future........yum.  And yes, I have been to the Ritz for high tea.  Loved it.

Do you see a British theme going on????  Hm....when did that start??

Now I am going to switch to a lotion that I have been really loving.  My skin since my 2004 hysterectomy operation, has been dry in the winter and sometimes the summer months. I discovered this brand when my cousin gave me a hand creme she didn't like the smell of. I was hooked and had to have some.  This product is the best lotion I have found for dry skin:

http://usa.loccitane.com/natural-beauty-products-skincare-l'occitane-en-provence-usa,82,1,28281,333753.htm?cm_mmc=Email+Newsletter-_-Week+3+Friday+Honey+Best-_-Promotional-_-Logo&utm_medium=Email+Newsletter&utm_source=Week+3+Friday+Honey+Best&utm_content=Promotional&utm_campaign=Logo

I have a problem with wool sweaters and found that some of my sweaters were a bit heavy and a lot of wool/angora, which if it's around my neck, can make me itch.  So I found these sweaters at Old Navy that I can wear a tank or tshirt under and I like them:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=73824&vid=1&pid=262425082

I have worn them all winter long, and I really like them. I have found Old Navy's clothing does not always hold up so I have been trying to wash them and hang them to dry to extend their life. Of course, I have loved Old Navy's fleece half zip pullovers, fleece hoodies, and fleece pullovers for years and have worn them (along with their yoga pants, yes, I like their yoga pants, even though I do not use them for yoga as they were intended) for years.

My favorite pajamas to date are these (the girls love them and say "look at mommy's monkey pjs!"):
http://www.target.com/p/nick-nora-poplin-sock-monkey-pajama-coat-set-pink-multi/-/A-11015458#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=nick+and+nora+monkey+pjs

And my favorite boots this year:

http://www.amazon.com/BEARPAW-Womens-Emma-Short-Black/dp/B003DNR2IO/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1359136251&sr=1-1&keywords=bearpaws

I think the Bearpaws are much better than the Uggs that everyone is wearing.  These boots are the warmest and have kept me plenty warm this winter.

My favorite scarves to date are the infinity scarves. I recently ordered some from The Pleated Poppy:
http://shop.thepleatedpoppy.com/category/scarves

They are comfy and easy to wrap around your neck for warmth.

The products I listed above are just some of the favorites I have been using/wearing/reading this winter. 

Now on to the pet part of this update.  The girls (and Dave) desperately want a hamster.  We have been to Petsmart to look at the hamsters and even seen them up close. LGA got very upset the last time we went (as we were looking at cages and reading the pamphlets they have near the cages) as we left without a hamster.  I know who would end up cleaning it's cage (even though Dave rather begrudgingly said he would take care of cleaning/feeding it) and feeding it.  I had two hamsters growing up, Charlie and Seymour.  They fought (as they were two males) so we separated them in to two cages. They also were night animals so got out and roamed the house (till we found them hiding in the bathroom laundry hampers in the am).  We thought about it, but part of the pamphlet said that the hamsters will bite if you poke them inside their cages or tap on their cages a lot.  I know this would be hard for OCD LGA to leave it (her as we'd get a female) alone.  Also the first time it got out and ran, the cat and the dogs would chase it.  And one or two little girls would probably drop it the first time it peed or pooped (and my hamster did that to me once, GROSSSSSSSSSS) on them and then it would run and we' have to try to get it.  So we didn't do it, but they still want one. I told them that daddy and I would talk about it and decide.  We do not want a guinea pig, even though that might be the more logical choice.  However, I am sure the dogs and cat would chase a guinea pig for sure. So we will pass on that type of animal for now. I have always had pets and never had an issue saying no, but this time I pretty much said no.

The sun is out today after two days of foggy and then rain (yesterday) so I am happy.  The 49'ers are in the Super Bowl (we just need them to win and then we will have two teams that won World Series and Super Bowl) so life is good.

Enjoy your weekend, those of you still reading the blog (the few of you that there are still reading).




7 comments:

  1. L-O-V-E the list of products Molly! I have to come back and check them all out. I'm with you on Downton Abby--though I have only seen a couple of episodes because I rarely get TV time to myself.

    Thanks for the fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it....and, congratulations to DH on his promotion. You guys DEFINITELY deserve a better year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. You NEED to watch Downton, Leigh! It's good. You can stream it on your computer or Amazon online I think. You will be hooked. Yes, we do deserve a better year for sure. I hope we're gonna get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what is this "stream" thing of which you talk? you do realize you are talking to me, right?

      Delete
  4. Yes! LOL. Ask your DH or DS's. They will help you. I have not streamed as I watch it on TV, but I have family/friends who do not have tv and they 'stream' it on their computer. Now I did go to stream a movie on Amazon and I just hit the watch button or whatever it was and I started watching it on the tv (cause I can't work the PS to watch it on there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pathological fear of clicking on anything on any device. I am constantly waiting for a flash and then an explosion.

      No joke.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame you. But it's very easy, I think it just says view or watch and you can click on it and the show will come up. If I can do it you can. :-)

      Delete